Do I Need a Root Canal Tucson, AZAt Jorge L Alvarez DDS, patients ask, “my tooth hurts, do I need a root canal?” Toothaches can be terribly inconvenient. They make it difficult to eat, speak, or even function. As a family dentist in Tucson, AZ, we realize that a common toothache is something most people can live with until it suddenly turns a corner and becomes unbearable. The key is to visit our dental office at that initial stage before you reach the point of severe discomfort. This will give you the largest amount of options for how to treat the problem. To schedule an appointment with our family dental office, call (520) 722-1655. Schedule Online
- Food is stuck in between your teeth or in between the ridges on the chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- You could have a cavity.
- Your tooth could have been chipped or cracked.
- You may be suffering from enamel erosion.
Other Factors You Need to ConsiderHowever, there are many times where a root canal is the right treatment option, so to answer the question, “my tooth hurts, do I need a root canal?” we must also look at the surrounding circumstances.
How long has your tooth been hurting?When you visit our dental office in Tucson, AZ, we need to know how long you have been dealing with this issue and whether the pain came on suddenly or if it has built up over time. This will help us in determining what the source of the discomfort is and what our treatment plan needs to be.
What level of pain are you in?At Jorge L Alvarez DDS we regularly ask patients about their pain and whether or not it is manageable. If it is only slight discomfort, you may be able to visit our Tucson dentist practice and have tooth decay removed. In many cases, a toothache is caused by a cavity that can be treated without the need for a root canal. However, we find that intense pain can often be due to an infection severe enough to warrant a root canal.
Check out what others are saying about our root canal support services on Yelp: Do I Need a Root Canal
When to Call Our Emergency Dentist OfficeIf you have any of these symptoms, you should call our emergency dentist office at (520) 722-1655 and schedule an appointment to be seen right away.
- Your face is swollen. In this scenario, you could have a severe infection and require an immediate root canal. As a Tucson dentist near you, we can quickly examine and treat you.
- You are having difficulty swallowing. In this case, you need to be treated by our emergency dentist office immediately. Do not delay or take any chances with this particular symptom. It is possible to develop a dental abscess, an infection that can spread from your root canal to the floor of your mouth and even into your neck. This requires urgent care.
- You cannot bite down without pain. In this case, your tooth could be infected and require a standard root canal. If so, we can perform the procedure quickly.
- Your tooth is changing color. Another sign of an infection is if the tooth begins to change color. In this case, it may appear gray or dull, and performing a root canal could be necessary for restoring the health of your tooth.
The Process of Performing a Root CanalWhen patients call us asking, “my tooth hurts, do I need a root canal?” the second question they normally ask is what the process will be like. At Jorge L Alvarez DDS, we will answer any questions you may have during your examination and consultation. We can complete a root canal in a way that is as comfortable as possible. The reality is that a root canal does not have to hurt. In fact, by using sedation, we can help you feel calm and relaxed to the point that most of our patients say they feel much better after the treatment than they did before the treatment. The root canal removes the infection, which is the cause of the initial discomfort, to relieve the pain. When looking for a “dentist near me” to perform a root canal, be sure to visit one who offers sedation.
When performing a root canal in our family dentist office, we do the following:
- Clean the tooth
- Numb the area
- Create a small hole in the tooth
- Remove the infected portion
- Clean the interior of the tooth
- Seal it with a rubbery substance
- Restore the tooth using a filling or crown
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Endodontic Terminology
A root canal is not as painful as many people seem to believe. During a root canal, the patient is under anesthesia to not feel any pain. We ensure comfort before the procedure and make sure that it runs smoothly.Do I Need a Root CanalAt Jorge L Alvarez DDS in Tucson, we work to customize…
Root canal treatment removes the infected dental pulp within the tooth and leaves the natural tooth otherwise intact. We offer root canal treatment that is not nearly as painful as some believe it to be.Root Canal TreatmentAt Jorge L Alvarez DDS in Tucson, we work to customize your treatment to match your needs and schedule…
If it is time for a dental checkup or you have not had one in the last six months, give us a call. We won't judge you and truly only care about keeping your teeth healthy. Schedule your dental checkup today.Dental CheckupAt Jorge L Alvarez DDS in Tucson, we work to customize your treatment to…
For anyone who grinds his or her teeth at night, there are possible options for at-home treatment. Grinding teeth can wear down the tooth enamel and cause jaw pain. Since the teeth grinding occurs at night, it can be difficult for the individual to prevent it without extra assistance. We can determine your specific needs…